The Decline - 10 years later

Over ten years ago I was going to make a video using NO-FX's "The Decline" as a soundtrack. At the time I was making videos using pop songs, in order to state that contemporary art had to take into account MTV culture in order to survive. So I started editing all this footage I took in the previous two years, reversing it all onto U-Matic tapes, as two huge Umatic machines with a mixer were the only editing machine I had at the time. Trouble was that each time I got to about five minutes of editing one of the VCRs would chew up the tape, which had to be replaced. So I had to start the job all over again. This happened about five times, before I decided to quit and wait for a better editing equipment to finish up the work. Of course time passed and I never completed the video, as my interests, although some footage was later used in "Quantità - Fiducia" in 2003.

It's interesting how "fate" can influence your work, and I was pondering about that just after I went to the opening of a Bas Jan Ader retrospective in Bologna. I wonder what kind of works would he be making if he were alive today.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blah Di dà

A certain something